You probably think that you need to succeed before you are happy.
If I had more money, I would be happy.
If I was skinnier, I’d be happier.
If I had a different house, I’d be happy.
If I had a nicer car, I’d be happier.
If I…, if I…, if I…, if I…the list can go on and on.
You think that if you have the things and situations you want, that you will finally find the happiness you crave. If you have all this, you will be able to finally relax and love living your life.
If you could just “fill in the blank”, you could be who you are, raise your kids the way you want to, and create your perfect life where you are authentic, engaged and love every minute. I get it, because I thought that for a lot of years too. Now I look back on all those years I spent yearning and trying as wasted time and unnecessary agony I put myself through.
Let me tell you a secret…….it’s the other way around!
Happiness + Growth + Passion = Success
You have to find some happiness to want to personally grow, and then you have to grow to find your passion and learn to live from that place. And you have to have all 5 to succeed. I know this might sound almost impossible. You say, how can I be happy if I don’t have the things I want? Right?
It’s super simple.
All you have to do is decide to start, and keep going. You have to make that decision that what you’re doing isn’t working. After all, the waiting and trying and hoping for the best isn’t getting you anywhere.
So, I want you to commit to spending 30 minutes to 1 hour every day to improve your life.
Here are 5 things you need to include in this time that will start opening you up to create the success you want.
1. Find gratitude for 10 things a day in your life and write them down. The key is to look for the little things like your great kids, a husband who smiles when he sees you after work, your dog’s enthusiasm to play ball, watching the moon rise, the warmth of a summer morning, the smell of cookies in the oven or a few quiet minutes. Cultivating awareness of little things that make you happy creates positive feelings that draw in more positive things to your life.
2. Choose some type of personal development to listen to or read. Just pick a book or a program – most public libraries have lots of options now – and start growing. Some of the first books I started with, and some of my all time favorites are: “Money and The Law Of Attraction” by Ester Hicks, “The Success Principles” by Jack Canfield, “Harmonic Wealth” by James Arthur Ray, “Having It All” by John Assaraff and “Awaken the Giant Within” by Tony Robbins. Any personal development book or audio will help you grow and expand how you hold your mindset and that’s what you’re looking to do.
3. Embark on self-healing one thing. Healing is part of growing. Choose what part of yourself you are going to work on, like creating a healthier body or working on emotional healing, and get going. Every day keep your awareness on ways to heal what you are working on and take baby steps. The better you feel the easier this whole process is. It could be your weight, migraine headaches, abandonment issues or recovering from an illness or injury. Pick one thing and spend some time on it every day.
4. Locate something you are passionate about. Just becoming aware of what you are attracted to, and that you already have things you are definitely passionate about will open your awareness to the bigger things you are passionate about. This is a huge topic, but the most important thing to know about finding your “passion” or “calling” is that you chose it and you already know what it is. Let the stress around “finding” your passion go and just start paying attention to what fires you up!
5. Get a coach with a community that supports you. Working with a coach, especially one that provides a community you can engage in everyday for support is huge. When you are changing your life you want to change your energy and having a coach to lead you and set an example of that energy makes it so much easier and faster. Then having a community is an extra bonus where you can watch what other people are doing and going through that are on the same path as you, you can ask questions and get feedback outside of your own knowledge, and be able to go farther beyond your comfort zone with a community behind you for accountability.
Get started with these daily practices today.
Stop waiting and wanting and start making progress every single day. The most awesome thing about these 5 steps is that they really apply to your entire journey to a successful, having it all kind of life.
“Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.” Alvert Schweitzer